Friday, June 3, 2011


Fort Collins is a fantastic and mysterious place. Of all the places I know of, this town’s got the best beer, great people, and beautiful bike trails. The music scene is thriving, the art scene is exploding, and I would love nothing more than to contribute to the culture here. I’ve always wanted to contribute to something great, which is why I’ve decided to start this art blog. I’m mostly just an art student at CSU, who doesn’t know how to not be nerdy about art, so I figure this is the best use of the knowledge I’m very, very slowly amassing. Since I’m no blogger – or that much of a writer, for full disclosure – this thing might be awkward or cumbersome at times.
But I’d like to let you know what I’m planning. This place usually takes second fiddle to Denver in regards to Front Range art centers, but the art here is some great stuff. I want to make it more accessible and visible. Not only is there all the art that gets produced at Colorado State, but the local stuff is awesome too – just take a look at places like the Art Lab, FCMoA, and the new GNU Gallery. I want to make a centralized place that people can check for the gallery shows and artists that are around here.
            In addition to simple reportage about what shows are happening when and where, I want to provide and encourage discourse about the art itself – critiques, gallery reviews, and interviews with artists. Ideally, I won’t be the only writer either, since I believe in the importance of giving other opinions voice – this is art, after all, and of all the things that one can be biased about, this is the most susceptible thing.
            As I’m sure most people know, it’s hard to go about town on a student’s budget, but I’ll hopefully have something substantial up here soon. I’ve got my eye on the MFA exhibition at the Art Museum at the UCA, which is up until June 10th. I’ve been there once already – and what a better place to start than the best that Colorado State has to offer at the MFA level? After that, there’s plenty of awesome artists around town that I would love to interview. Until then, Dear Reader, I hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment